Baby crib? Check!
Baby bathtub? Check!
Diapers? Check Check!
Baby-proofed house? Uh-oh!
The arrival of a newborn baby brings lots of joy and anticipation. Just entertaining the idea of ushering a new tiny being to the world is enough to make any parent melt. When it comes down to prepping for the arrival, things start becoming messy. There are lots of things to consider, from picking cute onesies to shopping for handy feeding accessories. You will need to feed, bathe, clothe and transport your baby. Lucky for you, there are a lot of baby items on the market that make the job of taking care of your little one much easier.
Just take a walk into any kids’ store and you will come across hundreds of baby products from different brands. Sorting through, buying and stocking all the available clothes, equipment and supplies for your newborn baby is a challenge in itself. Leave alone the potential expenses. While talking to other parents may help to some extent, you need a practical solution.
Besides diapers and a baby nursery, what else do you need to welcome your little bundle of joy into the world? Well, a lot more. Unlike adults, babies are not very materialistic. They don’t care how trendy their clothes are or how expensive their nursery furniture is. Just picture your childhood. Growing up, your parents managed to raise you with very few items. Look how fine you turned out to be!
While some parents enter panic mode and buy unnecessary items or even move to a bigger house, the list of essential products for newborns doesn’t have to be this complicated. A well thought-out shopping list is exactly what you need to stay on track with your purchases. The earlier you prepare your list, the better. A list will help you determine what essentials are worth spending money on and what is not really necessary. This way, your first few months to parenthood will be smooth.
Qualities to Look Out for When Purchasing Essential Products for Newborn Babies:
- Special features.
Taking The Stress Out of Drafting Your Shopping List for Essential Newborn Baby Items
It helps to be prepared for the arrival of your little bundle of joy. It’s advisable to consider your space limitations and budget when penning down your shopping list. To help make your job easier and fun, we asked experts to weigh in on the baby basics every parent needs to have. This article will highlight some of the must-have products for newborn babies for the first couple of months. Of course, every newborn baby and every mom is different, but these items are sure to work for you and your little one. We weeded out items that we found to be redundant, overpriced and complicated. To avoid impulse buying, use this streamlined list as a blueprint and tick off all the essentials you need in your baby starter kit next time you visit a baby store.
- Feeding Supplies
- MODELED AFTER BREAST MILK & made with carefully sourced premium ingredients, this formula is made with organic lactose the principal carbohydrate found in breast milk. Our formula provides key vitamins and minerals that are found naturally in breast milk.
- WITH 4X MORE PREBIOTICS than most other organic infant formula, our formula delivers 2 prebiotics, GOS & FOS, fibers that mimic the function of prebiotics found naturally in breast milk, which promote healthy gut bacteria in infants. No corn syrup solids.
- HAPPY BABY: At Happy Baby Organics, we provide organic and delicious options for your baby's nutritional journey. We develop premium organic recipes perfectly matched with your child's age and stage. This is enlightened nutrition for every family.
- MINDFULLY MADE: We develop premium organic recipes perfectly matched with your child's age and stage. Explore our snacks & meals for growing babies, toddlers & kids, from baby food pouches to freeze-dried yogurt treats, organic cereals & toddler snacks.
- HAPPY TUMMIES: Try Happy Baby's full line of baby food pouches, probiotic cereals, whole milk yogurt, teething wafers & baby snacks if you've enjoyed baby food from Sprout, Plum Organics, Annies, Gerber, Beachnut, or Peter Rabbit Organics.
To help make feeding time a happy time, you need to invest in enough feeding supplies. These can include nursing pads, nursing bras, nipple cream, pillows and burp cloths. The benefits of breast milk to a newborn baby cannot be stressed enough. You need to breastfeed your baby exclusively until she’s 6 months old. By now, you already know how you intend to feed your baby. If you choose to bottle feed your baby, ensure to buy a formula of your choice, at least 6 feeding bottles (BPA-free plastic or glass) with newborn nipple units and a microwave sterilizer to keep the bottles squeaky clean. If you choose to go the express way, include breast pump and plastic bottles (4-ounce and 8-ounce sizes) in your shopping list. A breast pump comes handy, especially if you are a working mom who juggles responsibilities between paying the bills and raising your baby.
- Diaper Supplies
- #1 Choice of Hospitals, Nurses and Parents (Hospitals: based on hospital sales data; nurses: vs. other hospital brands, among those with a preference; parents: based on retail sales)
- 2x softer with up to 12 hours of protection (vs. the every-day-of-the-year brand)
- Heart Quilts provide our softest comfort ever, while pulling wetness and mess away
- Air Channels allows air to reach baby's skin to help keep them dry and comfortable
- Wetness Indicator so you know when it's time for a change
Diapers are as basic as you get. Babies need to be changed a few times a day, and so it will be helpful if you have a set of diapers. According to Baby Center, in the first few weeks, your baby will go through 10-12 diapers a day. Whether to use reusable cotton nappies or disposable diapers is entirely up to you. The start is always the hardest, but as time goes by, you will become a natural at changing your little one’s diapers. Make sure you buy newborn size diapers. Also remember to include baby wipes, a diaper bag, cotton balls, diaper liners, a nappy bin with a tight-fitting lid and nappy rash ointment in case your LO gets a sore bottom.
- Designed for infants up to 15 pounds; Adjustable, removable canopy
- Calming nightlight and soothing music; Comfortable sleeping area with fitted sheet
- Steel frame and polyester fiber pad, fabric is machine washable; Dimensions: 33"L x 17"W x 45"W
- Product weight: 10.5 pounds; Convenient lightweight frame with locking casters for easy room to room mobility
- Large, two section storage basket for all of baby's essentials; Meets or exceeds all ASTM and CPSC Standards and JPMA Certifications
You probably know this, but babies need plenty of sleep time, so it’s vital that they are comfortable. While doctors advise sleeping in the same room with your newborn for the first few months, it is good to plan her sleeping area. Essentials for the bedroom include a baby cot or bassinet, cot mattress, 2-3 cot blankets, swaddle wraps, waterproof changing pads, mosquito net and a nightlight. A lullaby CD or pacifier will help your baby fall back to sleep when they wake up in the middle of the night.
- Tabbed neckline to keep baby comfortable
- Neck-to-toe zipper for fast dressing and easy changing
- Features adorable design details
- Includes 5 onesies brand bodysuits and 2 sleep n' plays (0-3m), 5 knit caps(0-6m), 3 terry bibs, and 4 flannel blankets(30 X30 )
Buying clothing for your tiny newborn can be fun, but it is crucial that you include some basic clothes for different phases. Include at least 5 pairs of socks, 2 cardigans for cold days, 2 soft sunhats for summer, 2 beanies for winter, 4 pajama sets or sleepsuits, 7 one-piece outfits, 4 bibs, 3
pairs of soft booties, baby hangers and a zip-up sweatshirt. The clothes should be cotton based, roomy, comfy, durable and possess safe motifs. Be careful when reading weight and size guidelines as these dimensions can vary among brands. Sequins, buttons, ties, glitter and heavy embellishments can cause skin irritation or be choking hazards. Avoid buying too many clothes at once as your little one will not be little for long– they grow faster than you think. To prevent skin irritation, always go for baby-friendly laundry detergents.
- Bath Time
The right time to start bathing your little one is after her umbilical cord falls off completely and the affected area heals. 2-3 weeks after birth is fine. Some of the items to consider for the bathroom include a plastic infant bathtub, baby shampoo and body wash, soft-bristled hairbrush, 2-3 washcloths, hooded towel, petroleum jelly, mild soap for laundry, rubbing alcohol, nasal bulb aspirator and cotton swabs. Your mom probably used a sink to bathe you, but times have changed, and there are different designs and models of infant tubs available today. As you will come to notice, your baby’s fingernails will grow very fast. A pair of baby fingernail clippers or round tipped nail scissors will help do the job. A bath thermometer will help to ensure that the water has the right temperature. As they grow older, your baby will require a bigger bathtub to have a good splash and play with bath toys.
- Holiday deals! 10 Bright Primary colored Rattles/Teethers for different stages of baby's development.
- Each rattle has different grips, shapes and tasks to assist in fine motor skills.
- Variety of textures will assist in tactile development of touch, taste and smell. BPA FREE!
- Numerous sounds will expand babies' sensory experiences, colors and patterns help eye tracking skills.
- Toys deals! Great gift for baby showers, suitable for nursery child care - easy to clean and store hygienically in their own container. Great stroller toy.
Playtime is essential for babies’ development. There are many toys to choose from, from teething toys to cute teddy bears. If you are working on a tight budget, consider buying a portable playard for your baby. This way, you can use it both at home and on the road. A playmat with toys attached or just a bouncy seat may all your baby needs. There’s no need to spend a lot of money buying expensive toys that your baby won’t even notice or play with.
- Out and About
At some point, you will have to travel with your baby, so it’s better if you’re prepared. Things to consider buying include a baby car seat, a stroller that reclines, baby sling and a nappy bag. While a baby sling might come in handy for short trips, a stroller may help you with longer trips around town or to the store. Safety regulations for car seats have changed over the years; it is your responsibility to ensure that your baby’s car seat meets all the current regulations. It should be easy to install, lightweight and have a head supporting pad. You can save money by opting for a convertible seat instead of buying an infant car seat. Also, consider sun-shielding your car windows or buying baby-friendly sunscreen to protect your baby from harmful sun rays.
- Baby Health and Safety
- FOREHEAD AND EAR MODE: Free to switch the detection mode from Forehead to Ear which is the easiest and most practical way to take temperature.
- ACCURACY and RELIABILITY: Equipped with the most advanced medical infrared technology for accuracy and reliability. Recommended by experts following its vigorous tests to confirm its consistency and reliability.
- MEMORY RECALL: Thermometer can store and recall up to 20 readings for baby and adults, available to help you track the trend of body temperature.
- FAST AND ACCURATE READINGS: With 2 buttons Head and Ear,provides fast clinical accurate instant temperature within 1 second and precise reading. A loud beep will notify you it is done.
- MONEY BACK GUARANTEE AND WARRANTY: for 12 months after the day of purchase, we take care of all related quality issue with a free replacement or full refund.
Your baby’s health and safety should come first, but what products will help you keep her healthy? A humidifier is a good start. Colds are common in babies and doctors advise against using medication to treat colds. This means that there isn’t much you can do for them. Enters the cool mist humidifier. This device will let your baby breathe easily and sleep better. You can add 2-3 drops of essential oils to clear your baby’s stuffy nose.
You might want to check your little one’s temperature now and then. A digital thermometer will help you to monitor your baby’s temperature accurately. A common baby illnesses book and a first aid kit are also thoughtful additions.
Baby-proofing your house is a must to create a safe environment for your little one to play. To avoid mishaps and accidents when they begin crawling, rolling and creeping around, consider buying smoke detectors, playpens and stair gates, fireguards, cupboard catches, toilet seat locks, furniture corner protectors and plug socket covers.
A video monitor will help you keep tabs on your baby and give you the much-needed peace of mind. When the baby is alone in her room with the door shut, a lot can happen behind closed doors. A video monitor comes with a transmitter and at least one receiver that will allow you to check on what your little one is up to 24/7.
There many items not covered in this post but we have included the essential products for newborn babies to get you started. When they grow up, and they grow up fast, you will have an easier job buying them stuff as you will know their unique needs and preferences. But until then, save your money by only purchasing the essentials in this list. 9 months may seem like a long time, but the next few months will fly. Now is the best time to start getting organized for your new baby.
Looking for more? Check out the best Baby Video Monitors on the market.